Saturday, November 19, 2011

brain blot

I'm tired.  I'm tired and frazzled, and I can't even feel sorry for myself, because I'm here and healthy, not even a headache today, not lying in a hospital bed recovering from a brain biopsy with two IVs and pneumatic compression wraps around my calves.  The wraps are supposed to prevent blood clots.  Every couple of minutes they make a puffing noise.  AC says they remind her of Mrs. Puff on Spongebob.  Sometimes she is brave and full of gallows humor.  Sometimes not. 

We set up a group on Facebook to help them out, and within 48 hours we had more than 30 people signed up.  We're taking turns fixing food for them and helping out however they need it.  I'm on for dinner tonight, and there is barbecue beef in the crockpot, a salad in the fridge, and I just took a pan of brownies out of the oven.  Originally I was going to take it over to their house, but after some further conversation, they're coming here, along with another family in our neighborhood.  The kids are tired of being home without their parents (their grandmother is here), and they (the kids) are stressed and confused, but since none of us know what is going to happen at this point, we're all confused.  It's difficult.  AC was supposed to come home today, but she hasn't responded well to the anti-seizure meds (which I think are standard after this kind of surgery), so they're keeping her another day.

At least it's hard to get too stressed about school, because who the hell cares?  Which is unfortunate, because I have a 3-5 page prospectus due on Tuesday, plus a test in my linguistics class. I was a volunteer judge at our local high school speech and debate meet today (there are dozens of volunteer judges, no experience necessary).  Usually I love doing it, but today I couldn't concentrate.  They were so bright and enthusiastic.  I don't see how people can moan and groan about how awful young people are today.  Only if they haven't spent any time with any of them.

Oh, and we have snow.  About three inches, with more in the forecast.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing-- I don't mind snow as long as it doesn't keep me from being able to drive.  And as long as it's not March.  :-)

So.... that was all over the place, wasn't it?  But it's all I've got the energy for today.  Please keep praying for AC. 

3 comments: