Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vegan dipping sauce for artichokes

I luuurrve artichokes.  This was so good I had to share.

1 box silken tofu
1 T olive oil
1 T dijon mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
2 shakes sriracha (more to taste)
1 heaping t umeboshi plum paste*
(* probably could leave out if you can't find it, they have it at our local health food store)

Dump in food processor and process till smooth. Add more lime juice and/or dijon to taste. Also add salt as needed (if you didn't add the umeboshi plum paste--which is very salty-- you will probably need at least 1/2 teaspoon salt). Yum.  Loosely based on a recipe from Passionate Vegetarian.

5 comments:

  1. I adore artichokes too, and where we are going in a few days, they are MUCH cheaper than here, and HUGER! Will have my sister-in-law make this for us so we can have a feast after the Farmer's Market day. Thanks for sharing!

    Yipee for your scholarly finish! And thank you for answering my panic-ish text yesterday. I am SO looking forward to the end of June!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good but what is sriracha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the first time I saw it was at a Thai restaurant-- it's hot sauce, I don't think it's specifically Thai but I'm not sure. They have it at grocery stores around here in the Asian food section. Let me see if I can find a link. here you go. If you can't find it, tabasco would work, or just leave it out.

      Delete
  3. I just made this again last night for the first time in awhile. With the measurements I've given above, it's pretty bland. I just kept adding--mainly dijon and lime juice--until it tasted more interesting. So probably you need to double all the ingredients except the silken tofu, and add a bit more dijon and lime juice. To be entirely honest, I almost never measure this kind of stuff so who knows how much I actually put in.

    ReplyDelete