Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Ulysses-- only because I have to

I have to read Ulysses (the James Joyce one) for one of my classes (more about that later).  So I'm starting tomorrow.  Just thought I'd let you know on the off chance that you want to read it along with me.  I have two reader's guides and I'm reading a synopsis of the Iliad and the Odyssey today, so will post what I can to be helpful.  this is also a warning if you're not interested, because that's likely to be what I'm posting about for a couple of weeks.

I just got the grade back on one of my papers from last semester, a B-, the lowest grade I've ever made on a paper.  It was the third paper, the one that had the least amount of effort put into it because I was working on the other two.  It deserved a B-, so I can't complain.  But I'm still feeling a little yucky about it.  I got an A on the first one, and I haven't seen the second one yet-- haven't been down to UTown since the semester ended, and I'm not going till next week.  (the one I got today was e-mailed to me).

And I'm also feeling physically awful-- I let myself get re-addicted to caffeine at the end of the semester (too many nights in a row of four hours sleep) and I'm weaning myself off of it again.  Well, I guess "weaning" isn't the right word, because I stopped cold turkey on Sunday.  It is pretty miserable, but not as bad as the first time.

whine whine whine.  Today is one of those days where I have to remind myself to extend unconditional positive regard to myself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, don't feel alone. I am working on a post right now (yeah, this is me working) for tonight, and most of it is whine and rage. We can still blame Mercury right?! The Shadow Effect doesn't end for another week.
    You need to be proud of your B-. That is a perfectly good grade, especially in your situation right now!
    No way am I going to read those books with you. Don't have nearly that kind of brain power. I'll enjoy your take on them from over here, in the Dunce Corner. I'm sure I will learn more by seeing this through your eyes anyway. (What class is this for?)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that reminds me I haven't explained why I need to read it! It's for an independent study. Will explain soon. You are definitely not dumb, you couldn't write all those interesting posts if you were.

    ReplyDelete