Sunday, January 23, 2011

thanks, I needed that

Hi, y'all.  Hope everyone had a good week.  Mine wasn't particularly pleasant, but restful and just what I needed.  It is the bane of my existence to be both an utter blockhead about social skills and also hyper-sensitive.  So I get my feelings hurt and have no one to blame but myself because I've caused my own problems.  Sometimes I just have to go off and lick my wounds.  By Saturday, a lot of rest and the passage of time had worked their usual magic and things are pretty much back to normal.  This didn't involve any of you, of course, just one of those things. 

I didn't spend a lot of time on Ulysses, but I did get through chapter 8.  Which means I need to summarize 5-8 sometime soon.  I don't know if any of the rest of you are doing this, but it's helping me to type out summaries so I'm going to keep doing it.  I thought I would start putting them in separate posts, clearly marked, so you can easily avoid if not interested.

I met with the professor for my independent study on Thursday and got a little bit better idea of what we're doing.  It looks like I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks doing a crash course on Javascript and maybe a little Flash, which makes me more happy than I can tell you.  It just feels so much more manageable than theory at the moment.  Only a few of you have been around for more than a year, so you missed the two semesters of Java programming I took at our community college right before I got the crazy idea to finish my master's, and I've worked with HTML, XHTML and CSS before.  So this feels like homecoming, like picking up something familiar. Unfortunately Java is only marginally related to Javascript, but still the language of coding is not entirely foreign to me.

There are a few other things knocking around in my head, but I'll save them for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back. And really glad that your down time helped.
    I don't really understand the coding things, but if it is good for you, then it is good!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, sorry you had such a hard time! Glad you're back though. I'm with Julie about the coding. I haven't worked with programming languages since I had to learn Basic in high school. (Oh dear lord. I sound old, don't I?) Either way, enjoy your respite. :)

    ReplyDelete