Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Things I hate

Debbie posted yesterday about things she hates or refuses to do, and it got me thinking.  So I'm putting off the post I don't want to write yet another day by putting up my list.  I'm not numbering it because they're not in order.

Going to the post office.  We have the nicest postal employees.  There is rarely a line (except in December).  But I hate going.  I don't know why.  Stuff that requires a trip to the PO can go weeks without being mailed.

Raisin Bread.  I know.  Everyone loves raisin bread.  But for some reason it gives me the heeby-jeebies.  Can't stand the stuff.  Bread should not have sweet sticky things in it.  This is also possibly affected by my dislike of raisins.  but I don't hate raisins, just don't really care for them.  I hate raisin bread.  and fruitcake.  Same idea.

Milk.  I've never been able to drink milk, even as a kid.  It's OK on cereal or in hot chocolate or a latté (though if I have a choice, I choose soymilk), but a glass of milk straight?  the thought makes me shudder.

Artificial sweeteners in food.  (I said "in food" because you know about me and Diet Dr. Pepper.)

Honey roast turkey meat.  American cheese.  Oysters.  Brussel sprouts.  Licorice and anything licorice or anise-flavored (although, oddly, I'm starting to come around on the whole fennel question).

Stiletto heels.  They look great.  Can't wear 'em.

We could have an entire sub-category here for traffic, but I'll confine myself to waiting through more than one cycle of a traffic light.  Oh, and stupid drivers.  Don't get me started.

Purses with no pockets or dividers, so your stuff falls into one big black pit. (I found these great purse organizers on Etsy.  They are awesome.  So this is not as big a problem as it once was.)

Talking on the phone.  Have I ever posted about that? It's like a phobia.  I get on the phone, and I can't get off fast enough.  It often comes across as very rude.  There are occasional exceptions to this, but generally, I will go to great lengths to avoid having to talk on the phone.  Texting, on the other hand-- oh my word do I love texting.  Do you know how many phone calls it saves me??

That's all I can think of at the moment.  What are yours?

14 comments:

  1. What I HATE: getting behind in my blog hopping and my e-mail! This is now becoming a pattern, and I can't stand it!!!

    I'm the same with the phone though, and we've discussed this. Texting was the ideal answer for me, I adore it.

    Answers, from the last few posts. I like the new arrangement, the lay-out feels smoother to me. Shower is gorgeous! My thoughts on color? Ask the kids, that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Nell will be home for spring break late tomorrow night, so that is the perfect advice. She worked for an architectural photographer for two summers, and spent many hours helping to arrange the interior of vast homes for photo shoots, so she's actually pretty good at interior decorating. Maybe I can get her to paint, too!

      No worries on getting behind... it happens to all of us.

      Delete
  2. Finally! Another purse organizer convert!! I can never seem to convince anyone how liberating they are. Not only to find what you need, but to be able to fashionably change purses with ease. ;-)

    I'm not crazy about the phone either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally with you on the oysters that is for sure. And I don't think I ever knew that you didn't like milk. I avoid artificial sweetners in all forms, even diet Dr. Pepper.

    Stiletto heels are the very devil, as the shoes that I wore for TMO's wedding will attest. I still call them The Shoe of Eventual Phalanges Death. I have wore them maybe twice since and only because I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lousy drivers, over-privileged whiny kids, having to go out too many nights in a row, insomnia, making phone calls, I'm sure there are more but that's enough to go on. Stiletto heels? I just look at them and think, why? But I do like oysters, although I certainly understand why not everyone does. I'm not my mom who thinks if she likes something than everyone should like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOO with you on the telephone thing. Hate it. I've left jobs because they required cold-calling. *shudder* Also with you on the raisin bread. (I don't like raisins at all.) But the thing I hate the most? Spiders. Any spider in my presence dies. I have no respect for life or the environment when it comes to spiders. I'm quite positive they'll all be waiting for me in hell. Oh, and captcha codes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I rather dislike yea old captchas too. Finally did the run-around necessary to turn mine off, now that Blogger's changed to Evil Captcha!)

      Delete
  6. I hate a lot of the same things you hate. One other thing I hate is having the television on when I'm doing anything else; eating, socializing, anything. Turn the noise box OFF. I've decided to hide the remote anytime someone is visiting from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noise box OFF YES!!!

      Delete
    2. oh, me, too! I forgot that one! TV off unless we're actually watching it. This is actually becoming a problem with MadMax. blecch.

      Delete
  7. Apologies for not responding individually-- Nell is here and I'm barely keeping up. We're having fun, though! I'll be back in a few. (days? hours? who knows)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yipee for out-of-town daughter time! Enjoy, have fun, let us know what she picked for the bathroom...... but not for days and days.

      Delete
  8. Milk is mucus. And what's with rice, soy, and almond "milk?" I like that stuff okay, but why call it "milk?" Rice, beans, and nuts don't have teets.
    This was a great idea for a post. Every blog should have a list of things hated. I'd have to add commercials to my list, specifically any sanitary products. If toilet paper wasn't advertised, would we forget to use it?
    And a couple notes on phones: 1, if you're afraid of the phone, that is one of the signs that you might be an alien. 2, why do people talk louder when they're on the phone? This is one of my hates. Hello? You're talking into a device that is transmitting your voice directly into somebody's ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW it! My so-called mom has this lame story about how I was born in Philly but I've always known I was an alien. I don't think you can know this, though, unless you are one, too. Just sayin. And I highly recommend a DVR as the antidote to commercial hatred. It makes me happy every single time I fast forward over one.

      So I will be watching for your list, Mr. Isaac Coleman. And thank you for commenting.

      Delete