Tuesday, September 20, 2011

a subconjunctival what?

So here is a picture of my flowers.  Usually I pick a color theme and they look a little more coordinated.  This year for some reason I went with random.






But really that is just a diversion, because the RSS feed only picks up the first picture, I think, and I didn't want this picture to be on everybody's feed:





Dh says this is a subconjunctival hemorrhage.  He is familiar enough with my spacey memory that he didn't even laugh very hard when half an hour later I said something about a subconjunctival hemmorrhoid.  I used to get them about once a year or so, but now that I am so elderly, I've been getting them much more frequently.  This is the second one in the past three weeks.  I look like I've been photoshopped for a vampire movie.  The last one, when it was almost healed, turned in to a thin ring of red around my pupil, which was really creepy looking.  The Cullens could adopt me.

Anyway, I'm putting it here to see if any of you know of a remedy.  Dh says there's nothing you can do, it just heals on it's own.  But that takes days.  My mom, who also gets them (things I inherited from my mom?), says massive doses of Vitamin C, and that does seem to help, but what I really want is something that will make it go away right now.

And forgive the mascara that I've had on since 9 a.m. this morning.  It was quite the adventure taking this picture.  I'm not all that handy with a camera, I think I took about 20 before I figured out a way to do it.

5 comments:

  1. One, your eyes are absolutely gorgeous! And B) GAH!!! That's horrifically bad!
    You get them a lot? What does Louise say about eyes, other than fear of not seeing something or other? Never heard of this, we must get Delia and Dan to research it for you. Oh man, I am totally adding this to my post tonight!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excessive g-force will cause this. Flying a jet or driving a race car might be the cause. Try to cut back.
    Are you an energetic sneezer? Also a cause. Oh, and maybe asperin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, here's what I found. The blood vessels in the eyes are delicate, more so in some people than others. You seem to be of the more so types. Anyway, in folks like you, hemorrhaging can happen with sneezing, coughing, etc., or it can happen for no apparent reason. It's very much the same way some people are easily bruised, except you're not seeing it through skin, so it's red/orange/yellow instead of purple/blue/green. There's not much you can do for it. Cold compresses may help if you get them on quickly enough, as they do with bruises, but basically you just need to wait for the blood to clot and then be reabsorbed into your system. Also, you should avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as these thin the blood and can contribute to further bleeding.

    That's all I've got, sorry it's not more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that sometimes in my right eye. It seems to flare up if I'm under an air conditioning vent in a movie theater, or a strong overhead vent in a plane.
    For me, I think it's from cold, dry air. Keeping myself hydrated and my eyes moist is important. I use Ocu-Fresh eye wipes, Refresh eye drops, (they are the ONLY ones that work for me) and if it gets bad I put the Refresh eye cream in at night...but then you can't find your way to the bathroom if you have to get up in the middle of the night. : )
    Seriously, other than ice packs and not wearing any makeup that can irritate, you just have to wait it out for three or four days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, thanks you guys! darn it, I guess I'm going to have to cut back on the joy rides in my F-16. The aspirin could be a clue-- I don't take it all that often, but I did take it a couple of times over the weekend. Maybe that made me especially prone to it or something. If it's like a bruise, I wonder if I could get arnica to work somehow? Obviously I couldn't put it right in my eye, but maybe rubbing it on my lower eyelid, it would get absorbed? Hmmm. Don't know, but arnica does wonders for me with bruises.

    thanks, y'all!

    ReplyDelete