Sunday, April 10, 2011

and there's no one to blame but me

I am such an idiot sometimes.  It was March when we left for vacation, and April 12th seemed so far away.  Then we got back, but it was still spring break, and I'd more or less lost track of what day it was.  And then at midnight last night, I figured out that I have to turn in an 8-10 page first draft of a paper on Tuesday.  I am so screwed.  I haven't written a word of it.  I have the idea, and it's sort of outlined in my head, but I haven't done any research or written any of it.

All I can do at this point is just the best I can, because there's not enough time left for anything else.  Thank goodness it's just a draft.  I don't think it is graded, but I wasn't there the day she talked about it, so I'm not sure.  It will be workshopped, though, which means three other students and I will read each other's drafts and comment, and it is going to be highly embarrassing to have such a lame effort.  But at this point it's spilt milk, you know?  And to add insult to injury, I have 200 pages of Emma left to read for Tuesday, too.  I was purposely putting that off because if I read it too far before classtime, I can't remember it.  Which, in hindsight, was a major mistake. 

So I need to get back to the grind (I've been working on it all day), but I did just want to let you know that our trip South went really well.  My dad is frail and obviously not in good health, but he is doing better than I expected.  We went out to eat both nights I was at their house, and he is alert and seems to be dealing well with all that's happening.  My mom moved into a new place last summer, but this is the first time I'd seen it.  It is great, and is perfect for her needs, although she's still getting used to it since it's smaller than what she had.  Had a blast with my sister and all her gazillion children (there's only six, really, but sometimes it seems like more).  It was a great trip, and the weather was perfect.  If only I hadn't let my brain go completely to mush while I was there.

So-- I'm way behind on blog-reading and probably won't be able to catch up for awhile.  Hope you're all doing well and if you can spare some paper-writing vibes for me, I will be grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Oh hell, I hate when that happens. So sorry! (Glad you got to spend time with family though.)
    Sending you tons of angel help, paper writing saintly assistance, Universal goodwill vibes, some stoic animal medicine, and every other Magickal damn thing I can come up with.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, another procrastinator. I don't feel so alone now. Glad to know that you had a good time down South. And every time I think about how many kids your sis has I just laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I definitely am a procrastinator, but this time it wasn't about that. I just flat out forgot about it. It did get done, and since it was just the first draft of a paper that is due at the end of the semester, it was OK. Thanks for your positive thoughts, Julie!

    and believe me, Debbie, I laugh, too. Especially when she's knee deep in pink fluffy tutus and cheerleader tryouts.

    ReplyDelete