Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Books I read or re-read in 2008 that were worth reading (in the order that I read them):

John Adams - David McCullough
Persepolis - Marjane Sartrapi
Holy Cow - Sarah MacDonald
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Leaving Church - Barbara Taylor
This Book will Save Your Life - A.M. Homes
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
Stranger Things Happen - Link
a couple by Christopher Moore
Agnes and the Hitman - Crusie/Mayer

Kids/Young Adult
Rick Riordan's Lightning Thief series
The Pinhoe Egg by Diana Wynne Jones
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

A bit shorter than last year's list. I almost didn't type it up when I was just thinking back over the year, but when I actually got around to pulling out the back page of the calendar where I keep the list, I remembered these. You'll have to go back to the posts about trashy novels to see the ones I read during that phase :-). Thanks to the anonymous poster for recommending Jennifer Crusie, who was perfect for the beach vacation we went on at the end of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you would enjoy Crusie's books because she brings together imperfect people who "come together, and figure out how to heal and learn to love each other" I, too, appreciate that "much more than when the lovers have to overcome obstacles (like misunderstandings which could be cleared up by a simple conversation), which often seem cooked-up.
    I really appreciate your reading suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I said that, but then I think Cal and Min (from Bet Me) are my favorite romance novel characters ever and that plot was exactly the type that could have been cleared up by a conversation. So you never know. I was laughing so hard while I read Agnes and the Hitman that it was a little embarrassing. Weird first chapter, but otherwise, that's the most fun I've had reading in a long time. In fact, I think I might put it on the worth reading list, now that I think about it.

    So what did you read last year?

    ReplyDelete